Dynamo: Autodesk’s answer to computational design
by on March 22, 2017•
As BIM continues to break down silos and barriers in the AEC industry, new challenges are arising:
- Maintaining early design knowledge
- Improving the transition from concept to design
- Automating tools and workflows to reduce rework
- Easing the modeling, visualization, and analysis tools
AEC professionals have begun to look at Computational Design to address these challenges, and they are reporting that it enhances their BIM workflows by more than 60 percent (cf. Journal of Information in Construction- ISSN 1874-4753). Autodesk’s answer to Computational Design is Dynamo. With Dynamo, users can:
- Quickly explore parametric design concepts.
- Rapidly test, iterate, and study multiple design options in less time
- Solve complex geometric problems; no programming experience needed
- Automate repetitive tasks for more precision and speed
- Manage risk by exposing tradeoffs and understanding systems and connections at the conceptual phase
- Generate sophisticated designs from simple data, logic, and analysis
To learn more about Dynamo, view the Dynamo chapter in the Connected BIM Solutions: Integration of FormIt 360, Dynamo, Insight 360, and Revit webinar.
To expand your learning even further, the following Autodesk University classes are recommended:
- AB6557: Practically Dynamo: Practical Uses for Dynamo Within Revit
- AS10613: More Practical Dynamo: Practical Uses for Dynamo Within Revit
Reach out to Jad Dellel if you have further questions, comments, or requests on Dynamo.